The Bronco is a general running fitness test that has been employed by rugby teams as a way of determining aerobic capacity. Participants have to complete a sequence of shuttle runs over 60m, 40m, and 20m for five sets. The participants’ aim is to complete the test in as short of a time as possible.
- To set-up this drill you will have a starting gate on regular tripods around waist height – just behind the starting line to that their body is in the laser but they will not hit the laser again when they come back to the starting line to turn around.
- To get to this drill go to Sport Collections > Rugby > Bronco 1.2k.
- Power on the laser, and connect it in the App.
- Once connected, press “Start Testing”.
Running The Drill
- Check in the appropriate athlete (details here) – optional. Note that this can time one athlete at a time. Multiple lasers and phones/tablets can time additional athletes.
- When ready, the athlete stands in the laser at the start. After getting the “GO!” message he or she runs to the 20m mark then back to the start – not passing the starting line and entering the laser.
- After turning at the start, the athlete runs to the 40m mark then back to the start.
- Next the athlete turns at the start and runs to the 60m mark before running back to the start.
- This is repeated 5 times.