top of page
Dashr | Blue
Operating the RAT
The Reactive Agility Test (RAT or Y-test) is a test of speed, agility, and the ability to recognize stimuli, and react to it. This drill uses a moving or stationary start, requires 4 timing gates and 2 React modules.
- Install batteries in each laser and React module you plan to use.
- Install/open the Dashr app on your phone or tablet. (Create an account here if you have not already)
- Register each laser/React in the app - Navigate to the "Device Registration" button at the bottom, power on the lasers one at a time and select them from the "Available" list and assign them a number. Write that number on your device. (This only has to be done the first time you use the laser with this phone/tablet)
- Return to the home menu and select Reactive Agility Test.
- Screw the lasers onto taller tripods, positioned so that the beam is around hip height.
- Screw the reflectors onto a matching tripods and position laser and reflectors across from each other (~6 ft) to create a line to pass through in the desired locations.
- With the laser on, select the appropriate laser from the drop-down menu and press the "Connect" button. If it does not work the first time, repeat.
- Screw each React module onto a taller tripod, positioned as high as you would like. Place the React modules in the desired locations.
- Similar to the laser, select the React module from the drop-down menu and connect both the left and right lights. If it does not work the first time, repeat.
- Once all devices are connected, press the "Start Testing" button.
- Check in the appropriate athlete (details here) - optional.
- With QuickRun on, get set while in the gate, after 3 sec of blocking the laser you will get a "Go!" message. Leave the laser when you want (time will turn blue - indicating that timing is taking place), and you get a result when you cross the gate again.
- With QuickRun off (option in settings) you will see “Set” and “Reset” buttons to give you control of when a test starts. Press "Set" once the athlete is ready to take off - then you will get the "Go!" message. Press "Reset" to clear the time for the next athlete.
- With QuickRun on, move through the starting gate to begin timing (time will turn blue - indicating that timing is taking place), and you get a result when you cross the gate again.
- With QuickRun off (option in settings) you will see “Set” and “Reset” buttons to give you control of when a test starts. Press "Set" once the athlete is ready to take off. Press "Reset" to clear the time for the next athlete.
- When the athlete crosses the split gate a React module (light) is triggered at random and the direction is indicated on the app. The athlete needs to recognize which light turned on and change direction to pass through the corresponding gate.
- A finish time is then presented.
- Note that this relates to a standard RAT/Y-Test, these gates and reaction lights can be moved anywhere on a field or gym to create a custom test for your athletes.
Visit our forum for additional details, FAQs, and specifics on drills - all on a searchable platform where you can also ask questions and share experiences.
bottom of page